With legal online sports betting launched Virginia, and no professional basketball team in the state, NBA fans will be able to bet on the Washington Wizards.
Virginia’s legalized sports betting industry went live in Virginia in early 2021. Wagering is online only at the moment, with an expansion to brick-and-mortar sportsbooks has been approved for five cities in the state: Danville, Bristol, Richmond, Norfolk, and Portsmouth.
The Washington Wizards made the playoffs in 2021, their first trip to the postseason since 2018. All-Star Bradley Beal remains the key piece on the team. Wizards fans will see some new faces after former league MVP Russell Westbrook was traded to the Los Angeles Lakers.
Best Sportsbook Apps For Betting On The Wizards
While Virginia awaits the opening of brick-and-mortar retail books, several top sportsbooks have launched mobile apps. Included among the online options are DraftKings, FanDuel, BetRivers, BetMGM, and Caesars. Each app offers sign-up bonuses for new players and a range of NBA betting options.
The most popular betting options include the spread, the moneyline, and game totals, commonly known as over/under. Sites will also likely include futures bets on things like overall wins, division and NBA champions, and more.
- DraftKings and FanDuel are daily fantasy sports powerhouses that have successfully implemented sports betting into their platforms. They both have an established reputation and are likely to be among the first sportsbooks to launch in the state.
- BetMGM and Caesars Sportsbook are among the largest and most reputable sportsbooks both in the US and across the world. Caesars Sportsbook in particular is a partner in the first physical sportsbook located inside a US professional sports venue. That venue happens to be Capital One Arena, home of the Wizards.
- BetRivers and PointsBet are also worth watching. BetRivers is new to sports wagering. BetRivers is operated by an affiliate of Rush Street Gaming, which operates several successful land-based casinos. PointsBet offers a unique format that differs from other traditional wagering platforms. On this app, you are rewarded with higher payouts for betting accuracy.
How To Bet On The Washington Wizards
Legalized sports betting went live in Virginia in early 2021 and several mobile sportsbooks launched soon after. While there are no retail locations to visit at the moment, Caesars Virginia is tentatively scheduled to open in Danville in 2023. Virginians are no longer required to leave the state to place a wager, but options exist in neighboring states as well.
- Caesars Sportsbook by William Hill is located in the Capital One Arena, home of the Wizards, and is accepting wagers at their pop-up windows.
- There are at least five casinos in West Virginia that offer retail wagering locations.
Betting On The NBA Finals In Virginia
Placing a wager on the NBA Finals is one of the most popular ways to bet on pro basketball. Virginia bettors can bet on the Wizards making it to the Finals or can bet on any other team.
With sports betting legal and mobile apps launched within the state, Virginians will be able to wager on the Washington Wizards throughout the 2021-22 season. Odds and sign-up bonuses typically differ slightly across sports betting sites. This variety attempts to attract new players and overall action to each site. Wagering options will come in all shapes and sizes. An example of popular options include:
- Game and series traditional bets
- Exact results of any single game (spread or moneyline)
- Exact results of the series (who will win)
- Over/under point totals in any single quarter, half, or game
- Game and series proposition bets
- Which player will score the first basket in Game 1?
- Which team will make more three-pointers in Game 2?
- Will player “X” score over or under 100 total points in the series?
The NBA Finals is a premier professional sporting event. With a series of games, there are several ways to engage in a wide variety of wagers. Whether the Wizards are in the series or not, there are countless ways to bet on the NBA Finals.
How NBA Betting Odds Are Calculated
Sportsbooks create betting odds for NBA games based on a variety of factors. These include recent trends, player injuries, time zones and travel, and the public profile of the teams. Visiting teams and teams with player injuries often have a more difficult time competing in or winning games. Teams from large media markets like Los Angeles or New York often attract a higher number of bets. Sportsbooks will consider all these variables when determining the odds for any game.
Here is a wagering example. The Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat are playing in the NBA Finals. The series is 2-0 in favor of LA. Game 3 is scheduled for Miami, and the Heat’s best player is out with an injury. Even though the game is at Miami, the Lakers have already won two games, and the Heat lineup is less than full strength.
Oddsmakers will likely favor Los Angeles. The Lakers are favored by a “point spread” difference of 5. You place a bet on Los Angeles at -5. If they win by 6 or more points you win your bet. If they win by 4 or fewer points or lose the game outright, you lose your bet. If they win by exactly 5 points it is a “push” and you get your wager back.
Popular Ways To Bet On The Wizards
There are a variety of bets that can be placed on NBA games including the point spread, money line, totals (over/under), parlays, futures, and propositions.
- Point Spread: You bet on whether a team will cover a point spread. The favorite must win by more than the set number of points, and the underdog must win or lose by less than the spread.
- Moneyline: You pick a winner. The moneyline will be designated by a negative or positive number. The team with odds that have a negative number is the favorite and the positive number is the underdog. If a team is -150 on the moneyline, you would have to bet $150 to get $100 in winnings. For a +150 underdog, a bet of $100 would return you $150 in winnings.
- Totals (Over/Under): You bet on whether the combined score of both teams falls under or goes over the total set by the sportsbook. The final score is either under or over the combined total points in a game.
- Parlay: Parlay betting means combining multiple bets on a single ticket in exchange for an increased payout. The more bets placed on the ticket, the higher the risk and the higher the reward.
NBA Futures Bets
With this wager, you bet on the future team or individual outcomes. Popular team futures bets include how many games a team will win in a season and odds to win the division, conference, or even the NBA Championship.
Popular individual NBA futures bets include who will lead the league in scoring, who will be named to the All-Star Game, and who will win the league MVP award. Odds are always shifting so you can often place a futures bet at almost any time of the season. Futures bets on the Wizards can even be placed before the season starts.
How To Place Prop Bets On The Wizards
Prop bets are usually a yes-or-no bet. Proposition bets are available for single games. For example, whether Bradley Beal will score 25 points or if Russell Westbrook will get 10 rebounds. Proposition bets are also available for a playoff series or even the entire season. For example, who will be the NBA finals MVP or which team will have the most made 3-pointers in the season. There are even exotic proposition bets like how long it will take to sing the National Anthem.
Washington Wizards Sports Betting FAQs
Yes. Virginia residents age 21 and older can legally bet on the Washington Wizards and other professional sports teams.
The popularity of the NBA and the star power of the Wizards team is likely to attract a healthy rate of sports wagering.
Caesars Sportsbook by William Hill is located in the Capital One Arena, home of the Wizards.
Only online betting options are permitted under state law. There are no brick-and-mortar sportsbooks yet. Virginia’s sports wagering bill did specify that five cities can build casinos and sportsbooks: Richmond, Norfolk, Danville, Portsmouth, and Bristol. Caesars Virginia is tentatively expected to be completed in Danville in 2023.
Yes. DraftKings is legal in the state of Virginia and was one of the first sportsbook apps to launch in the state.
Yes. FanDuel is legal in the state of Virginia and was the first sportsbook app to launch following the legalization of sports gambling.