With legal online sports betting coming to Virginia in 2021, and no professional basketball team in the state, NBA fans will be able to bet on the Washington Wizards from Virginia.
The legalized sports betting industry will go live in Virginia in early 2021. Wagering will be online only, with an expansion to brick-and-mortar sportsbooks in the future. After making the playoffs four times between 2013-2018, the Washington Wizards have not been to the postseason since. However, All-Star Bradley Beal and former league MVP Russell Westbrook have sparked optimism. The Wizards project to be both entertaining and competitive and ripe for Virginia bettors.
Best Sportsbook Apps For Betting On The Wizards
Virginia is expected to permit a dozen or more betting sites and apps. About 25 different vendors and sportsbooks applied for a license at the end of 2020, and there will be reputable options to choose from.
While mobile sportsbooks have not yet launched, several top sportsbooks are expected to be entering the state including DraftKings, FanDuel, BetRivers, BetMGM, and WilliamHill. Each app will offer sign-up bonuses for new players and offer a range of NBA betting options.
The most popular betting options include the spread, the moneyline, and game totals, commonly known as over/under. Sites will also likely include futures bets on things like overall wins, division and NBA champions, and more.
- DraftKings and FanDuel are daily fantasy sports powerhouses that have successfully implemented sports betting into their platforms. They both have an established reputation and are likely to be among the first sportsbooks to launch in the state.
- BetMGM and William Hill are among the largest and most reputable sportsbooks both in the US and across the world. William Hill in particular is a partner in the first physical sportsbook located inside a US professional sports venue. That venue happens to be Capital One Arena, home of the Wizards.
- BetRivers and PointsBet are also worth watching. BetRivers is new to sports wagering. BetRivers is operated by an affiliate of Rush Street Gaming, which operates several successful land-based casinos. PointsBet offers a unique format that differs from other traditional wagering platforms. On this app, you are rewarded with higher payouts for betting accuracy.
How To Bet On The Washington Wizards
Legalized sports betting will go live in Virginia in early 2021. While sports bettors in the state of Virginia await their chance to wager within the state, it is legal for Virginia residents to travel to place in-person wagers in neighboring areas.
- It is legal for Virginia residents to travel to Washington, DC to place a bet on the Wizards. William Hill Sportsbook is located in the Wizards Arena and is accepting wagers at their pop-up windows. William Hill also just launched its online app in DC, but it must be used within two blocks of the Capital One Arena.
- It is also legal to wager on sports in West Virginia. There are at least five casinos that offer retail wagering locations. Virginia bettors can also place bets online with any legal West Virginia sportsbook apps so long as they are located within West Virginia’s boundaries. All major sportsbook apps will offer lines on the Wizards and all NBA games.
- It is not legal to wager on sports in Maryland. Maryland voters said yes to legalizing sports gambling in the November 2020 election, but the state legislature has to establish rules and licenses.
Betting On The NBA Finals In Virginia
Placing a wager on the NBA Finals is one of the most popular ways to bet on pro basketball. Virginia bettors can bet on the Wizards making it to the Finals or can bet on any other team.
It is expected that legal wagering platforms will be live within Virginia well in advance of the 2021 NBA Finals in July. Odds and sign-up bonuses typically differ slightly across sports betting sites. This variety attempts to attract new players and overall action to each site. Wagering options will come in all shapes and sizes. An example of popular options include:
- Game and series traditional bets
- Exact results of any single game (spread or moneyline)
- Exact results of the series (who will win)
- Over/under point totals in any single quarter, half, or game
- Game and series proposition bets
- Which player will score the first basket in Game 1?
- Which team will make more three-pointers in Game 2?
- Will player “X” score over or under 100 total points in the series?
The NBA Finals is a premier professional sporting event. With a series of games, there are several ways to engage in a wide variety of wagers. Whether the Wizards are in the series or not, there are countless ways to bet on the NBA Finals.
How NBA Betting Odds Are Calculated
Sportsbooks create betting odds for NBA games based on a variety of factors. These include recent trends, player injuries, time zones and travel, and the public profile of the teams. Visiting teams and teams with player injuries often have a more difficult time competing in or winning games. Teams from large media markets like Los Angeles or New York often attract a higher number of bets. Sportsbooks will consider all these variables when determining the odds for any game.
Here is a wagering example. The Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat are playing in the NBA finals. The series is 2-0 in favor of LA. Game 3 is scheduled for Miami, and the Heat’s best player is out with an injury. Even though the game is at Miami, LA has already won 2 games, and the Heat lineup is less than full strength.
Oddsmakers will likely favor LA. The Lakers are favored by a “point spread” difference of -5 points. You place a bet on LA at -5. If they win by 6 or more points you win your bet. If they win by 4 or fewer points or lose the game outright, you lose your bet. If they win by exactly 5 points it is a tie and you get your wager back.
Popular Ways To Bet On The Wizards
There are a variety of bets that can be placed on NBA games including the point spread, money line, totals (over/under), parlays, futures, and propositions.
- Point Spread: You bet on whether a team will cover a point spread. The favorite must win by more than the set number of points, and the underdog must win or lose by less than the spread.
- Moneyline: You pick a winner. The moneyline will be designated by a negative or positive number. The team with odds that have a negative number is the favorite and the positive number is the underdog. If a team is -150 on the moneyline, you would have to bet $150 to get $100 in winnings. For a +150 underdog, a bet of $100 would return you $150 in winnings.
- Totals (Over/Under): You bet on the total number of points that will be scored in a game. The final score either under or over the combined total points in a game.
- Parlay: Parlay betting means connecting two or more bets for an increased payout. You more bets you link together, the much larger return on your wager if you win.
NBA Futures Bets
With this wager, you bet on the future team or individual outcomes. Popular team futures bets include how many games a team will win in a season and odds to win the division, conference, or even the NBA Championship.
Popular individual NBA futures bets include who will lead the league in scoring, who will be named to the All-Star Game, and who will win the league MVP award. Odds are always shifting so you can often place a futures bet at almost any time of the season. Futures bets on the Wizards can even be placed before the season starts.
How To Place Prop Bets On The Wizards
Prop bets are usually a yes-or-no bet. Proposition bets are available for single games. For example, whether Bradley Beal will score 25 points or if Russell Westbrook will get 10 rebounds. Proposition bets are also available for a playoff series or even the entire season. For example, who will be the NBA finals MVP or which team will have the most made 3-pointers in the season. There are even exotic proposition bets like how long it will take to sing the National Anthem.
Washington Wizards Sports Betting FAQs
Yes. Sports betting was legalized in Virginia in 2020. The minimum age to legally bet on sports in the state is 21. The Virginia Lottery Board will regulate sports betting apps and will issue state licenses to various operators.
There isn’t an established track record of wagering on the Wizards in Virginia, since sports wagering hasn’t launched in the state yet. Virginia sports gambling on the Wizards is imminent in the state, however. The popularity of the NBA and the star power of the Wizards team is likely to attract a healthy rate of sports wagering.
William Hill Sportsbook is located in the Wizards Arena. It is currently operating as a pop-up shop, with select windows at Capital One Arena available for access. Since the arena is technically in Washington D.C., in-person wagering is allowed at these windows.
Only online betting options are permitted under state law. There are no brick-and-mortar sportsbooks yet. Virginia’s sports wagering bill did specify that five cities can build casinos and sportsbooks; Richmond, Norfolk, Danville, Portsmouth and Bristol. That development is likely a couple of years away.
Yes. Virginia currently allows for DraftKings daily fantasy sports. The platform is legal and active in Virginia for that purpose. When sports wagering launches in early 2021 it is expected that the DraftKings sportsbook will receive a license and be available for sports betting.
Yes. Virginia currently allows for FanDuel daily fantasy sports. The platform is legal and active in Virginia for that purpose. When sports wagering launches in early 2021 it is expected that the FanDuel sportsbook will receive a license and be available for sports betting.